Recently I’ve come to know a little more about coconut oil, and am finding that I absolutely love this stuff! So I’ve gathered a few things I thought I’d share. I have found over 100 uses and benefits of coconut, and I’m sure some of you reading this have more ideas.
1. Anti- Fungal
2. Anti Bacterial
6. Minimize heartburn
7. Minimizes acid reflux
8. Moisturizes skin to alleviate wrinkles and dryness
9. Bath oil (add in with some Epsom salts, essential oil, and baking soda – delicious bath!)
10. Great lip balm
11. Helps to clear up cold sores
12. Rub on the inside of the nose to alleviate some allergy symptoms
14. Reduce sun spots and age spots
15. Reduce acne
16. Great skin softener
17. Soften those elbows
18. Moisten chapped noses
19. Add baking soda and coconut it’s a naturally whitening toothpaste
20. Helps to prevent gum disease and tooth decay
21. Breath freshener
22. Amazing conditioner for hair for softness and fizzes
23. Fight dandruff and flaky scalps
24. Lice fighter – mix with some apple cider vinegar
25. Nail and cuticle treatment – reduce hangnails
26. Cracked feet – heels
27. Athletes foot and skin fungus’
28. Softens and lightens scars
29. Shaving cream, soft skin after!
30. Daily rubbed into scalp will stimulate hair growth
31. Helps to resolve acne
32. Heals to heal bruises
33. Helps to stabilized glucose levels and improve diabetes symptoms
34. Builds healthy cells
35. Eases Arthritis pain
36. Helps to prevent osteoporosis
37. Fights off viruses
38. Fights off other infections
39. Fights against bacteria
40. Added with eucalyptus essential oil it’s a great vapor rub
41. Helps to kill off yeast/Candida and infections
42. Can be used externally and internally to speed up recovery of UTI’s
43. Recovery of kidney infections
44. Relieves dry coughs
45. Added to tea helps the recovery of flu and colds
46. Eases sore throats
47. Tiny bit can help speed healing of ear infections
48. Fights inflammation
49. Improves digestion – easy to digest
50. Promotes growth of probiotics
51. Kills off certain parasites
52. Reduces ulcers
53. Helps function of gallbladder and prevents disease
54. Improves and aids in healing pancreatitis
55. Improves circulation
56. Aids in prevention of heart disease
57. Helps to reduce high blood pressure
58. Boost the Immune system
59. Builds muscle and decreases body fat
60. High lauric acid content helps boost metabolism
61. Regulates hormones
62. Supports thyroid and adrenal glands
63. Can help to lower cortisol levels naturally
64. Anti-aging properties
65. Helps to lower cholesterol
66. Mix with a TBSP of chia seeds for an all day energy boost!
67. Brain food – reduce risk of Alzheimer’s
68. Helps memory
69. Soothes bug bites
70. Energy booster
71. Weight loss
72. Oil pulling
73. Constipation relief
74. Fights off parasites
75. Dry skin of animals
76. Cleans out the ears of your dog
77. Helps to soften your pets dry nose
78. Coffee Creamer (one of my favorite)
79. Replace your vegetable oil and butter
80. Wood polish!
81. Leather polish – a little goes a long way!
82. Plastic food container stains
83. Cleans ink stains!
84. Soap scum!
85. Season cast iron skillets
86. Rust remover! Let sit for a couple hours and then rinse with warm water, wipe with a soft cloth
87. Great makeup remover
88. Build thicker eyelashes
89. Massage oil – add your favorite essential oil
90. Make a body scrub – recipes follow
91. Helps to heal the perineum after birth
92. Use on nipples between nursing to soothe irritation
93. Babies bath – helps keep their skin healthy and soft
94. Use for cradle cap
95. 3-4 tablespoons a day taken with Vitamin D will help to increase milk supply
96. Melt Shea butter and add coconut oil for a great diaper cream
97. Good for sore nipples of nursing mom’s, rub after nursing.
98. Help prevent stretch marks
99. Personal lubricant – vaginal dryness
101. Fight athlete’s foot
102. Helps avoid chlorine exposure when swimming
103. Rub on those new tattoos
104. Shiny plants
105. Great base oil or carrier oil
106. Helps to increase sun tolerance and to avoid burning
107. Natural SPF 4 sunscreen
108. Used as a natural tanning oil
109. Or soothe that sunburn and speed the healing of the skin
110. Replace vegetable oils when cooking
111. Can help to improve sleep when taken daily
112. Improves mental alertness
Amazing list of benefits and uses isn’t it?
With a various amount of different products, you can reap amazing health benefits. Eat good ole’ fresh coconuts, then you have coconut water, oils, and creams. And I recommend Alive coconut products. I am practically fond of Coconut Secrets – http://www.coconutsecret.com/. They also have a wide variety of other products that are delicious and amazing, I know because I’ve tasted and used most of them!
I also found this great video clip, just for an expert’s opinion on the subject.
Now for the fun of it: here are a few recipes for the do it yourself-ers out there!
For daily facial cleansing use straight coconut oil. Scoop out of your coconut oil; rubbing it in between your fingers to soften and apply over face. Wash off with warm water cloth.
For a good scrub, here is a great recipe:
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP baking soda.
2 drops essential oil of your choice
(For a grainy scrub you can use brown sugar)
For an added benefit I like to use essential oils:
Lavender – Helps to regenerate skin cells and is wonderful to relax the skin
Melaleuca – is wonderful for acne prone skin
Lemon – is a natural astringent and antibacterial agent
Frankincense – is anti bacterial and anti inflammatory
Homemade Coffee Scrub and Mask ½ teaspoon coconut oil ½ teaspoon finely ground coffee beans Recipe for glowing skin
Coffee oil Coffee Creamer
¾ cup organic coconut oil (soft, not melted
½ cup raw local honey
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp organic cocoa powder (totally optional! But required in mine!
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until they are well combined. Store in a glass jar with a sealable lid.
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp honey
¼ cup sea salt
¼ cup sugar
Squeeze of lemon juice or 2-3 drops of lemon essential oil
Stir together coconut oil and honey in a medium bowl.
In another bowl mix remaining ingredients until crumbly
Pour salt mixture over honey mixture and stir until smooth.
Double and triple recipe as needed and store in a air tight glass container.
3 Tbsp coconut oil
4 Tbsp shea butter
2 Tbsp sweet almond oil
10-12 drops of your favorite essential oil (Lavender, Frankincense, sandalwood, melaleuca)
Combine first 3 ingredients in glass bowl over a hot pot of water or double boiler on low heat; stirring until melted.
Add essential oil(s) stirring to combine
Transfer bowl to fridge for at least 30 min. to set and harden
Remove from fridge and whip with mixer until the consistency of frosting
Store in an airtight contain for up to a month.
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup shea butter
5 Tbsp beeswax
2 Tbsp zinc oxide
½ tsp vitamin E oil
10-12 drops of Helichrysum and Tamanu
Heat first 5 ingredients in a glass bowl or double boiler on low heat until melted
Remove from heat and stir in essential oil
Pour into silicone molds, and then allow to cool 30 minutes in fridge
Store in airtight container at room temperature.
2 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed)
6 Tbsp baking soda
10 drops essential oil (wintergreen, peppermint, *on guard)
Fine pink sea salt
Mix all ingredients together until it is a creamy paste
Store in airtight glass jar.
1 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vitamin oil
Favorite essential oil – 5-6 drops
Mix all ingredients on high speed in mixer or whish for 6-7 min.
Store in sealed glass jar at room temperature.
1 cup coconut oil
10 drops Valor
10 drops *Deep blue
10 drops peppermint